ABORIGINAL AND TORRES STRAIT ISLANDER VOLUNTEERS FOR THE AIF: THE INDIGENOUS RESPONSE TO WORLD WAR ONE
SECOND EDITION 2012
Reprinted 2013, 2014
WHAT’S IN THIS BOOK ?
- NAMES OF ABORIGINAL SERVICEMEN
- CONTEMPORARY ABORIGINAL VOICES: WORLD WAR ONE
- BIBLIOGRAPHY OF BOOKS, ARTICLES, ARCHIVAL AND INTERNET SOURCES RELATING TO ABORIGINAL SOLDIERS
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander volunteers for the AIF contains a referenced list of over 800 men of Indigenous heritage who volunteered for service in World War One. This is accompanied by notes which include comments on locating Indigenous men in service records, reasons for volunteering and the growth of interest in Indigenous service since the 1930s.
The discussion of Indigenous involvement in World War One uses the words of Aboriginal soldiers and community members, contemporary non-Indigenous commentators and newspaper reports. There are 84 illustrations, 79 of which are individual and group portraits of Indigenous servicemen.
HOW TO OBTAIN COPIES
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Volunteers for the AIF: the Indigenous Response to World War One
- published by Indigenous Histories
- price $30 plus $10 postage within Australia.
- available from Indigenous Histories at email@example.com or
- PO 686 Jamison Centre Macquarie, ACT, Australia 2614